What is a car's VIN code?
The VIN number is an individual vehicle cipher consisting of seventeen characters (numbers and letters).
This code contains information about the manufacturer, the parameters of the car and the date of the assembly line. The identification number is assigned at production and it is forbidden to change it throughout the entire service life. It is used when processing documents.
According to international requirements for the production of a vehicle, the manufacturer does not have the right to use the VIN number repeatedly for 30 years. VIN is unique – it never repeats and is similar to human finger typos. The standard for the wine code was established in 1980.
How to verify the authenticity of the VIN code?
is determined by matching the intervals between the characters of the identifier. There are several ways to determine the VIN:
* reconciliation by traffic police databases;
* visual inspection of symbols (factory signs have the same size and shape);
* the platform with the vin code remains stationary under any mechanical influences;
* paint expertise in the area of embossed symbols (see detailed description here VIN check).
Also, in the original code on the carrier, there should be no traces of welding, damage and putty. You should pay attention to the depth of the applied signs, the difference between the number displays on both sides, possible changes in the thickness of the panel.
What is the VIN for?
The alphanumeric number has two main functions: identification of the vehicle and storage of complete information about it. The VIN code of the car fits into the PTS, STS, warranty card and insurance policy.
Encoded information about the manufacturer can be found from the first eight digits of the VIN.
The history of the car is tracked by the VIN code:
* repairs after an accident;
* encumbrances, collateral, etc.;
* fixed hijackings;
* number of sales.
By the code, you can find out how the vehicle (VIN lookup free, for instance) was operated, who the owner is, the type of upholstery, equipment, and body color.
Such information is especially in demand for the buyer of a used car, since it makes it possible to avoid confusion in documents and fraud by unscrupulous dealers.
Where is the VIN code applied in the car?
According to the manufacturer's right, the Vin number can be applied in different parts of the body:
· under the windshield;
· under the hood;
* under the skin next to the driver's seat;
* on the driver's door stand.
In a car of a domestic manufacturer, the VIN code is indicated on the passenger side on the depreciation rack, or between the cabin and the engine on the right side.
The exact location of the cipher is known only by the manufacturer, which is due to the protection of the vehicle from theft and theft. The user, as a rule, learns this information after carrying out repair work or analysis.
Today, manual (installed in tooling) or automatic systems for applying Vin numbers to body parts are used on car assembly lines. Leading auto giants use marking by tracing, since it eliminates the deformation of elements.
Laser marking can be carried out on many materials and alloys, including titanium. The marker is capable of applying letters, numbers, barcodes, logos with a unique degree of execution.
With impact-point marking, the applied marks are formed by a number of points obtained as a result of the impact of the tungsten-carbide tip. Read more: VIN decoder.
What does the VIN code consist of?
The VIN code of the car consists of three parts:
- WMI - international manufacturer's index (3 characters).
- VDS - informative and descriptive component (6 characters).
- VIS is a distinctive component (8 characters).
Let's look at what letters and numbers mean in a 17-digit wine code.
- 1st - geographical region;
- 2nd – the country that released the car;
- 3rd - manufacturer;
- 4-5 - series;
- 6th - wheelbase;
- 7th - body type;
- 8th - engine type;
- 9th - a check digit confirming the validity of the first eight numbers;
- 10th - model year, the year of the launch of the new line;
- The 11th division of the plant where the vehicle is assembled;
- 12-17 - serial number on the conveyor (serial number).
It is important to remember that the model year and calendar year are different. The model year is set by the manufacturer at its own discretion.